Friday, May 9, 2008

Israel Cannabalizes Itself

Photobucket
Photo by dlisbona.

First of all, I would like point my middle finger directly at Reuter's. Not that I'm surprised that they would print a grossly misleading headline, but well, ok...I am. I am surprised and disgusted. The top Reuter's online story today is headlined "Israel's Olmert admits taking cash but won't quit." I think we can all agree that means he admitted to taking a bribe. However, in the article, Reuter's quotes Olmert as saying, "I look each and every one of you in the eye and say, 'I never took bribes. I never took a penny for myself.'"

The Israeli media has been riding this wave for the last two weeks but for some reason the story broke internationally yesterday. On Israel's birthday. Weird.

Amir Oren, of Israel's Haaretz newspaper, writes an analysis of the media's handling of this event and breaks it down rather effectively. He writes:
The media midwifed the affair, kept it from dying and has turned itself into the arena for the coming rounds.

Read the rest of that analysis here.

No comments: