Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Today's Buzzword: Organic

Organic

I have for a while noticed a linguistic trend regarding the word "organic." In olden times it meant anything related to life. Then, some time ago, it became a reference to responsibly or "naturally" farmed produce. Now it can be used to mean anything, and take on any form the user wishes. Such as:
"I try to come up with my ideas organically."

"Are those pants organic?"

"I love Matisse, his lines are so organic."

"I'm healing from the flu organically."

"The flaws in your writing are too organic to be easily remedied."

"It's an organic theory of history."

Organic has uses in such diverse realms as chemistry, biology, pathology, psychology, philosophy, law, architecture, fine arts, and history. More information about the 15 official uses of the word here.

It is my opinion that when the meaning of a word is completely dependent on the context in which it is used, it no longer has any meaning at all. And since I'm against the usage of words that have no meaning (unless I, myself, make it up and assign its meaning) I hereby announce my boycott of the word organic. I am a force to be reckoned with.

Jack has this to say about it:
"But you're white. What sort of food are you going to eat?"

No comments: