Thursday, July 9, 2009

Israeli Housing Minister Advocates Forced Segregation

The article I'm about to quote is from July 2, but I'm just now getting around to reading it.

Israeli Housing Minister and Member of Knesset (parliament) Ariel Atias announced:
"I see [it] as a national duty to prevent the spread of a population that, to say the least, does not love the state of Israel," Atias told a conference of the Israel Bar Association, which focused on a reforming Israel's Land Administration.

The Shas minister referred to Harish, a housing project built for the Haredi community in northern Israel, saying that the Arab population from the nearby Wadi Ara was spreading into the Harish area.
I find it unfathomable that today, in 2009, a high-level politician would openly advocate forced segregation based on race. I just don't know what else to say about this, except to add:
if we go on like we have until now, we will lose the Galilee. Populations that should not mix are spreading there. I don't think that it is appropriate [for them] to live together.
My fellow Americans, is this not undeniably a repeat of Jim Crow? How does this kind of news not make it to most of America? How do American supporters of Israel ignore this? Will they also call this a "security measure"?

No comments: